There is always something going on in Vernon during the summer. With so many different activities and venues available in and around the city, it may be hard to fit it all in. As the premier agent for all your Vernon real estate needs, I would like to offer you the following list of some of the more popular festivals and events going on in and around the city this summer.
Vernon’s Canada Day celebration is an all-day affair. The fun kicks off at Polson Park in the morning and showcases a wide range of activities. Some of the highlights of Canada Day include:
- A dunk tank.
- Live music and local entertainment.
- Extreme competitions, including motocross and skateboarding.
- A bicycle parade.
Come on out and celebrate Canada Day Vernon style this year.
Vernon Farmer’s Market
The always popular Vernon Farmer’s Market is the place to get the finest fresh vegetables and fruit from your favourite local vendor. In addition to an excellent selection of seasonal produce, the market also offers artisan crafted breads, desserts, as well as jewelry, pottery and other handmade crafts.
Cowboy Dinner Shows
The historic O’Keefe Ranch is proud to host its 10th annual Cowboy Dinner Show. Enjoy a dinner and finish the evening beside a campfire being entertained by live music and a poet. The show is suitable for all ages. Be sure to dress appropriately for the weather.
Dragon Boat Festival
Get out and enjoy the 8th annual Vernon Dragon Boat Festival hosted at Swan Lake this July. This family friendly event is great for both spectators and participants alike.
Be sure to be a part of the 25th annual Sunshine Festival taking place in the city this June. This six-block extravaganza running along 30th Avenue becomes a vehicle free playground for over 15,000 children and adults to enjoy. The festival features:
- Over 160 local vendors.
- Live music on 2 separate stages.
- Local food trucks and eateries.
- An obstacle course and climbing wall.
If you are looking for a rocking good time this summer, then make sure to circle your calendar for Civic Sounds. This free event brings some of the region’s biggest bands to Vernon’s Civic Plaza for an evening of good times and great dancing.
The hot summer days make Vernon’s beaches an excellent place to enjoy a few relaxing days. Some of the more popular beaches in the vicinity include:
- Kalamalka Lake Beaches – the distance from the city coupled with a host of facilities such as change rooms, volleyball courts and a pier all make Kalamalka Lake the most popular of Vernon’s beaches. Choose between Cosen or Juniper Bay or enjoy them both as they are connected by a trail.
- Okanagan Lake Beaches – Okanagan Lake offers 3 different family friendly beaches. Choose between Kin Beach, Paddlewheel Park or Ellison Provincial Park. All the beaches offer soft sand and warm inviting water. Visit all three this summer and pick your favourite.
These events and festivals will have your summer calendar jam packed with excitement. Be sure to get out and enjoy the free community minded venues that the city of Vernon offers. If you would like more information on any of these events or would like to view some of the new and exciting real estate options that are available in Vernon, please contact me today. I look forward to hearing from you soon.