There are just too many great summer activities and venues going on in Vernon to fit into one blog. Regardless of what type of summer fun you are looking for, the city of Vernon is the best place to be. As the premier agent for all your Vernon real estate needs, here are some most popular summer events and festivals that you won’t want to miss.
There are 4 lakes in the immediate area surrounding Vernon and all of them are extremely popular during the summer.
- Okanagan Lake – The sheer size and depth of this lake makes Okanagan Lake one of the most popular destinations in the province. Okanagan Lake offers excellent fishing opportunities as well as a host of beaches, campgrounds and great swimming.
- Kalamalka Lake – This stunning lake changes colours over the course of the year, ranging from teal to indigo. Kalamalka Lake offers excellent picnic areas, family beaches, swimming as well as hiking and biking trails.
- Swan Lake – If you love nature and serenity, then this is the lake for you. Swan Lake and the surrounding wetlands offer some of the best bird watching opportunities in the province.
- Wood Lake – The Okanagan’s calmest and warmest lake is connected to Kalamalka Lake. Wood Lake offers camping, trout fishing as well as swimming and sandy beaches.
Part of Vernon’s charm is its proximity to the outdoors and more specifically – Kalamalka Lake Provincial Park. This sprawling 3200-hectare park is the perfect example of North Okanagan grasslands and offers a wide range of activities and sights including:
- Canoeing, boating and fishing.
- Biking and hiking trails.
- Swimming in 3 of the lake’s bays.
- A picnic area with wheelchair access.
Another popular summer park is Ellison Provincial Park. This park is located on the northeastern shores of Okanagan Lake and offers scenic views of the lake and forests. The park offers camping and excellent hiking trails as well as sandy beaches, perfect for swimming.
The City of Vernon offers a well-balanced selection of city parks and green spaces. Regardless of what park you find yourself at, they all offer something different and are great places to enjoy a warm, sunny summer day. Some of the more popular local favourites include:
- Polson Park – located in the heart of Vernon, Polson Park is home to the popular rose gardens as well as a stunning Japanese Garden. In addition to these spectacular gardens, the park is also home to the Floral Clock; a one of a kind monument.
- Sovereign Park – located on the shores of Kalamalka Lake, this park is a great place to go for a swim or just relax and enjoy a family picnic.
- Creekside Park – is home to a host of different sports facilities including soccer fields, baseball diamonds, a playground and a skate park.
From beaches and lakes, to camping, there is no end to the number of things to do in Vernon over the summer. If you would like more information on any of the summer activities or locations or are interested in viewing some of the amazing real estate options that abound in Vernon, please contact me today. I look forward to hearing from you soon.